Dear Readers,

If you are reading this text, that means that you are on the old version of my blog. I have changed platforms and am now using Wordpress. You can find the updated version of my site at:

www.theshoesnobblog.com

Sincerely,

Justin, "The Shoe Snob"

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

An Ode to Blue Dress Shoes


I have said it at least once and I will most likely say it at least a million times more, but the simple fact is that blue dress shoes (for me) remain the most underutilized option in the footwear industry. While certain shades of blue can pose as a bit over the top, I really don't see how a dark navy or even that Edward Green spectator (below) would be seen as any more ostentatious than say a tan dress shoe? The contrast is in fact, far more great in a tan shoe with navy suit than it is with a navy shoe on navy suit? So why the hesitation towards blue dress shoes? It makes me think about who laid the ground-rules to what should and what should not be when it comes to shades of shoes. Why was dark navy not ever put into place as 'acceptable?' A dark navy can be easily mistaken for a black shoe, which means that it is dark enough to be passed off as "corporate" or "professional." But yet, people shy away from it like they do a 15 hour flight. But why??? Psychology is an interesting thing and I bet it has an answer here, but since I am not psychologist, all I can do is hope to rub off a bit on all of you in the hopes to see more of you buying blue dress, like all of these gentlemen did!!

Pictures Courtesy of En Grande Pompe







6 comments:

  1. Hi Justin,
    I wear my blue John Lobb/Paul Smith captoe with pride and love them.
    However I find that they are not the best match for a dark navy suit but rather brown or medium gray.
    Thanks for the article and all the great reading you post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for sharing Nicolas!! that is a lovely model!

      Delete
  2. Hi Justin, This is the first time I've come across your blog and I have to say I really admire your passion! I have to agree here that there is no reason why navy shoes can't work but I think the reason why does go to, as you mentioned psychology. We have a tendency to flock like sheep and follow the masses and because tan and dark shoes are the 'norm' we stick to them. People change and definitely fear standing out of the crowd.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the kind words Richard, thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  3. I love my Mr. Hare navy dress shoes!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails