Dear Readers,

If you are reading this text, that means that you are on the old version of my blog. I have changed platforms and am now using Wordpress. You can find the updated version of my site at:

www.theshoesnobblog.com

Sincerely,

Justin, "The Shoe Snob"

Friday, November 23, 2012

Shoes Of The Week - Bally Scribe


I can't say that I know a lot about Bally shoes, particularly because I know that within the last 10 years there has been some rocky roads with all of the ownership changes but what I can say is that I have always liked their higher-end line, what is now called (or possibly always) Scribe. Traditionally made in Switzerland (and I think brought back to there), the Scribe shoe has always been built on the tradition of craftsmanship and quality, with goodyear welting construction and high grade leathers. While I have never had the pleasure of actually wearing one or knowing anyone who has, I can say that in person they seem nice, and you can't find too many people with a bad thing to say about Bally. Therefore, they must be good! :-) Nevertheless, I like some of the things that I see in these pictures, particularly the highlighted double monk wingtips.....Should I ever make it to Switzerland, you can bet that I will pit stop at the Bally store!




6 comments:

  1. "Scribe" is their MTO range I think. I looked at some in a Bally shop recently and they're pretty nice. Pretty traditional lasts, solid and heavy, steel-shanked, goodyear welted, professional-looking.

    Considering the limitations of the MTO options, I'd say their problem really was the price of the competition - for instance it's cheaper to get MTO from Vass or Carmina, with more options and flexibility. But they certainly look like quality if you come across a good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure Bally are probably very well made, but whatever I have seen of them, their shoes are not elegant looking, a bit clunky and soles protruding too much! Considering that they start at around £450 range, there are other much nicer looking makes (C&J handgrade, Alfred Sargent exclusives, Cheaney imperial etc.)which are equally well made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Omar: they look great, but make a selection online of a normal calf shoe in a pretty generic design, and they will charge you over £1,000. They look great, but a little conservative and with a lot of serious competition in that price range - and below.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex B - It will always be hard to compare with the lowest prices in the shoe industry....even harder to compare with Meermin or Ed Et Al...but you get something different that the other makers might not provide....like an aesthetic...

    Omar - yea, it seems that they pride themselves on a heavier type of style...

    -Justin

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK smart-ass: are they really three or four times as good as yours? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alex B - :-0 Can't say for sure...but don't think so.....

    -Justin

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails