Dear Readers,

If you are reading this text, that means that you are on the old version of my blog. I have changed platforms and am now using Wordpress. You can find the updated version of my site at:

www.theshoesnobblog.com

Sincerely,

Justin, "The Shoe Snob"

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My New Service at Gieves & Hawkes on Savile Row


The Shoe Snob is now reachable and is offering a new service at Gieves & Hawkes at No.1 Savile Row in London, England. To continue on my journey within the shoe industry, I have found myself offering artisan shines for those who wish to set their shoes apart from the rest.

Taken from my background in shoemaking, I have added to London, with the help of Gieves & Hawkes, what we believe to be fairly uncommon: the opportunity to get a shoe-shine in the artisan/military type of way. When I first learned how to make shoes, my first 2 weeks were literally just polishing finished shoes by hand. Not only did this teach me the art of patience and discipline, but it helped me realize that the polishing of the shoe, is one of the most important parts of the shoemaking process, yet is also a part that may go frequently overlooked and unappreciated. However, few people seem to realize that leather is not naturally shiny, nor beautiful and it takes a good 1-3 hours (depending on leather and state of shoe) of hand-polishing to give it that $3000 mirror-looking quality.

So for those of you who truly care about your shoe's lifespan and looks, I thought that I would inform you that as well as offering my services to you as a writer on my blog I am also now offering them as an artisan shiner for your shoes. So if you ever happen to be on Savile Row in London, come pop in to say hello and possibly leave your shoes for a great mirror-like shine!

On some of the pictures, you will notice before (out of the box) and after's (when I am done shining them), like the black cap-toe and cognac colored derby's.


















21 comments:

  1. Right on Justin! I will definitely stop by when I'm in London. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn Justin, this is definitely a service i'll Be taking when i'm in London :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a shame I cannot visit you on the row! Great service though. One that we'll be offering as well here in Seoul as soon as we've opened our doors in about 1 to 2 weeks :-)

    By the way: A magnificent shop where you're offering your services!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you provide the step by step process if we wanted to do it ourselves - since some of us might be able drop by

    ReplyDelete
  5. KC - Thanks man, hope that you come to London soon!

    Spoozy - Definitely, see you in June!!

    Reto - I am sure that you will be able to make it some day soon. Being in the industry yourself and doing business with G&G, I am sure that you might find yourself this way before long.

    Anonymous - Yes, in the near future I will do this for all of you who cannot come by.


    -Justin, "The Shoe Snob"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Justin,Would love to see the steps in shoe polishing to. i have been checking your blog Site every day thanks for your information you put in to your Site. GREAT STUFF. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Justin!
    Having worked along side you now for a few weeks, I can vouch for the quality of your service.
    I just adore the glistening patina of glassy loveliness you impart to the shoes.
    And people have no idea how much extra life they will be giving to their uppers.
    Roll up, roll up for a military shine from The Shoe Snob!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No doubt I'll come over there. Even without official reasons I used to make it to London about once a year. Now the distance from Korea is bigger but then I might be able to come up with a good reason or a pair :-) I'll let you know...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with it Justin! I hope you will soon meet with my shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome man! My father was a freak about shining his shoes and i inherited it from him....and than in the Army i got more reinforcement to how important it is, cause more than just keeping them looking good shining your shoes actually helps taking care of them and make them last longer it protects the leather. actually when i see someone with shoes that are not shine no matter what he wears and how he looks that detail says more about him than the rest...it really batters me!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous - Thanks for reading for the blog and for commenting, I appreciate that. I will soon put up a post on polishing but it will take me a little while as I have to steal my wife's camera!

    James - Thank you!! I look forward to our future collaborations!

    Reto - Please do let me know when you come, coffee or lunch will be in order.

    Marcel - Thank you, that would be nice to see your shoes in person, I do look forward to coming to Hungary in the near future!

    BOAZ - Thanks for commenting BOAZ!! I hope that you are doing well!

    -Justin, "The Shoe Snob"

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow this is awesome, if I ever make it to that side of the pond, I'll def. have to stop by

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joker - Thanks, please do stop by if you ever get the opportunity to!

    -Justin, "The Shoe Snob"

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a difference a shine makes..i just wish i was in the vicinity of london so that i could pop by and have a shine and a chat...keep up the great work on this blog..kudos

    ReplyDelete
  15. Erni - It truly can make a difference if done properly. Well, if you ever happen to come, just let me know! Glad that you enjoy the blog. Thanks for commenting!

    -Justin, "The Shoe Snob"

    ReplyDelete
  16. How is your shoe shining service going? Are people interested in it?

    Regards, le.gentleman

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gentleman's Gazette - It's going well actually. Loads of people have come in. It's not so busy that I cannot manage but it is definitely picking up considering there has not really been much publicity due to the refurbishment of G&H. But after we have the re-launch and we get some magazine press coverage, I think that things will start to really pick up. But yea, i cannot complain, people are coming in and enjoying their shines from what i see.

    -Justin, "The Shoe Snob"

    ReplyDelete
  18. My old firm. Good to see Gieves doing interesting things like this.

    Very impressive blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. David Reeves - Thanks for the comment, glad that you enjoy the blog. Come in for a shine some time, if you please.

    -Justin, "The Shoe Snob"

    ReplyDelete
  20. hello Justin, I have been visiting your site very often lately, actually, I end up ordering three pairs of those you have displayed (G&G and Vass). I am coming to London by the 7th and I will make sure I have time to stop by for a shoe shine
    Mohamed

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mohamed - That sounds great!! I am glad that I have been able to show you some shoes that you have truly appreciated. Thanks for reading the blog and commenting and I will look forward to meeting you soon.

    -Justin, "The Shoe Snob"

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails